Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Focusing Energy on Positive Thinking and Hope

        I continue to witness progress in my healing process.  One thing I have learned is that recovery or healing is not necessarily linear.  There has been peaks and valleys and there have been plateaus as well.  However, the general trend since I began a concerted and directed effort toward recovery has been growth and progress.  In many ways I am as confused about the experience as I was the first day I noticed the symptoms, but my odd feelings fail to control my life and ruin my days.  As a result, I am convinced that we must maintain a commitment to positive thinking and to continue holding ourselves accountable for our actions and healing.  One thing that I have learned is that negative thinking begets more negative thinking and that obsession with my thoughts and symptoms only exacerbate the problems.  On the other hand, positive thinking and a commitment to hope has greatly aided my feeling better.  I implore you to remain hopeful.  Hope can be a crutch, a band aid, and a cure.  Hope can carry you.  Hope does not have to be based on just knowledge either.  We do not always need immediate proof that all will be fine.  Sure, reflecting on our progress and the steps we take to get where we are can validate feelings of hope, but even saying to yourself every single day that "I will be happy and ok" makes a difference.  Positive and hopeful affirmations make a huge difference.  Many successful people do them and if you have no reason to be hopeful than affirmations may be a place to start.  Keep the faith and good things will come.

4 comments:

  1. Did you ever at any point feel like the zoloft increased your DP because I just started taking it and feel more brain fog

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a general rule I try not to generalize about experiences with medication. In addition, I would caution anyone to make any judgement about the efficacy of the medication shortly after taking it. However, to directly answer your question I would simply say that no I did not witness my DP increase after beginning Zoloft. There have been times when it felt this way because I would plateau in my recovery, but things never got "worse." I would also not rule out the effect your feelings have on how you think it's working. From what I understand Zoloft is not designed to have any positive effects before one month and often up to six weeks. The only disclaimer I would put on everything I said is if you begin to feel significantly worse, suicidal, or incredibly off or depressed. It's important to be in close contact with whomever prescribed you the medication because they are fully qualified to offer advice. However, in my experience I did not notice any significant changes for the positive until a little over a month and I have gradually felt better over time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I agree you can't really generalize medication experiences. After going off zoloft after only a week out of being scared it was making my DP worse my therapist recommended I give it another go as I wasn't on it long enough or at a therapeutic dose level. To me this medication game is a bit scary in the beginning of starting treatment (probably because of anxiety and hyper-vigilince). Thank you for your response!

      Delete