Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A Way to View Your Symptoms

        I can very gratefully and proudly share that my DP/DR symptoms have reduced significantly in the past ten days and more importantly the feelings of detachment that I do have fail to bother me or affect my disposition.  One of the ideas that has truly helped me move even further into being fully healed has been how I now come to view my symptoms.  First, since I began this blog I have deliberately used the term "symptoms" in an effort to further drive home the fact that what we are experiencing are merely symptoms and not some impossible to overcome illness.  I believed this to be true when I first started blogging and as I near the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel of DP/DR I hold this belief to be even more true.  Viewing DP/DR as a condition prevents us from fully healing because of the fact that recovering cannot be viewed as an all or nothing sort of solution.  This is mostly due to the fact that you cannot look at someone and tell that they have DP/DR.  Even my partner, with whom I have been fully transparent about my symptoms, has no idea as to when my symptoms are disabling or not present.  DP/DR in my opinion is not a condition, but rather the combination of physical symptoms that result in thought patterns that harm our well being.  So while we can treat the DP/DR, it is equally important to treat how we feel about it.  I think that it is also important to view DP/DR as symptoms because I think we should separate DP/DR from the person that we are.  I like this way of thinking about DP/DR because it allows us to see the feelings and thoughts as maladaptive responses to the symptoms rather than something to overcome.  This thought process gives us quite a bit of power over our symptoms in that it enables us to take full responsibility for our recovery.  DP/DR is not terminal cancer or even a degenerative mental disorder.  It is solvable, treatable, and something that can exist in all of our rearview mirrors if we put in the work.
        While everyone experiences DP/DR in a different way, I think that people may be able to relate to a character flaw of mine that inhibited my full recovery.  For much of this experience I operated under the belief that somehow my symptoms were different or something that could not be cured or solved.  I thought that somehow I was different from the rest of humanity and that this experience was beyond even my own capacity for thought.  But that is where the problem resided.  Due to the fact that I saw my symptoms as something that was above or different from what others experience I couldn't work on the destructive thought patterns.  Even people with symptoms or experiences similar to mine were in my mind going through something different.  And by looking at my experience this way, I inhibited my ability to recover.  It shifted the responsibility of my recovery from me to the universe, or perhaps even more telling it made me feel that I would never feel better.  But if you are able to read this blog, or if you are able to research your symptoms, or if you're able to go through life pretty much the same as you always have than in all likelihood you are not "going crazy," whatever that even means.  So I think that we can look at our symptoms in one of two ways: everything is completely different and the world is just a figment of my imagination, or I am connected to everything but my thinking has just gone awry.  Let me be clear and say that I am not negating the physical symptoms and the pain we experience because it is true and it is real.  However, I do think we posses much more power than we even think or realize.  As much as the physical symptoms feel uncomfortable, there are many aspects of the experience we can control.  This is due to the fact that DP/DR is a set of symptoms and not a condition.  No matter how detached we feel, we are still a byproduct of the thoughts we have had, we continue to have, and we will have.

6 comments:

  1. Do you feel like the antidepressents helped with your DP/DR? Because my therapist/ psychiatrist would like me to get on an ssri like paxil. Their opinion is that the DP/DR is an affect of dissociation from the trauma of having anxiety and panic attacks and once the anxiety is dealt with he feelings of dissociation and foggyness should subside. How long were you on zoloft before you noticed a decrease in DP/DR symptoms?

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I also have wondered anxious what am I in this weird dualistic DP/DR state. It makes sense for yoga/ meditation to provide more feelings of integration. It almost seems like this overwhelming sense of self is what attributes to DP like if we could just forget about it and act be and be one with the world then we would no longer be depersonalized. This has definitely been a strange journey through this. Thank you for your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As for the dualistic experience, part of me feels good that I am not alone in this feeling. Although, most of me would rather that no one ever feel this way I am comforted to know that I did not invent this concept. I say let the philosophers ponder these questions, I want to live life! I do think that everything that I've employed has allowed me to feel integrated again. Depending where you are in your healing I would recommend reading "Wherever You Go, There You Are," by John Kabat-Zinn. It discusses mindfulness practice and how to integrate it into your day. If you don't think you're ready for this please save it for another time, but I'm reading it right now and love how I am able to apply mindfulness to my day. In short, mindfulness allows me to examine my environment closely, but on my terms. Please follow up with any questions if you have any.


      Cheers,


      Chuck

      Delete
  3. Hi Langston,


    Thank you for your comment and for taking the time to read my blog. My answer to your question about the efficacy of Zoloft on my DP/DR isn't necessarily straightforward in that I don't think anything about this experience is straightforward. However, Zoloft has improved my life in many ways. I can not say that I noticed any immediate changes in my DP/DR after getting on a consistently high enough dosage of Zoloft (I'm currently at 200 mg). I can say though that within a couple of weeks my anxiety and depression symptoms basically faded away. The depression (and mine was fairly mild) became a less prominent part of my life and my anxiety which was pretty high was essentially nonexistent after 6 weeks on Zoloft. I still felt detached from my environment throughout my day, but once the anxiety faded I didn't care as much about the DP/DR. It existed, but it stopped controlling me. My DP/DR revolved mostly around obsessive thoughts and rumination about the universe and existence. Since I moved up to 200 mg nearly two weeks ago I have had almost entirely "normal" days at least by my former/pre-DP/DR standards. If I had to guess, I would say that Zoloft allowed me to get to a place mentally and emotionally where I could make some lifestyle and subsequently thought pattern changes in order to move past DP/DR. Before Zoloft I had an impossible time getting out of bed, I hated being outside, I felt so alienated from people in my life, and I generally felt uncomfortable every moment of the day. Now, I love life again and have been graced with the ability to love life again. I do feel detachment from my environment at times, but I do not let it control me anymore. I feel more autonomy. Does this answer your question? If not please ask a follow up question.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello...i am writing my symptoms to you , please tell me whether you used to get same thoughts or not and help me overcoming this situation
    I have overcome most of physical symptoms and fear of anxiety but my sole problem are the following thoughts thats irritating me:
    1. How I am walking
    2. How I am communicating with others
    3. How I am sitting
    4. How I am doing things I am suppose to do
    5. How I am thinking
    6. How I am looking in particular direction
    7. What are my desires
    8. All confusion of emotions
    9. How I am remembering things
    10. How I am seeing things
    11. Questioning my every move, action and thoughts
    Its feel like I am. Person without sole and trapped between getting normal or loosing everything. Though I am going office everyday, went abroad for business trip, going restaurants, movies, laughing during Conversations, doing whatever I m feeling like but still its feel like something is missing. Just don't know when this will end. Sir please help me to overcome this, I will be really thankful to you
    Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!

      I can definitely relate to some of the things you are going through. In particular, I have struggled with how I am thinking, how I remember things, questioning my thoughts and actions. I have also felt like I have gone through the day like something is missing. My guess, and please remember that I am not a mental health professional, is that the symptoms that you are still experiencing have something to do with anxiety. I only say this because of where I am right now and that I have also witnessed diminished anxiety. Even though my anxiety is less I have noticed that my thought patterns that bother me clearly have something to do with anxiety. There is nothing "wrong" with me and I can say that if you're getting up and living your life every day there is nothing wrong with you. I believe that the problem comes in the way we have come to think about our world and our thoughts about our thoughts.

      My advice is as follows:

      1. This is something that requires the help of others. I encourage you to seek out the help of a therapist who specialized in anxiety disorders and utilizes Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

      2. I would at least consider meeting with a psychiatrist. My Zoloft prescription has helped me considerably.

      3. Work on ways to decrease stress and anxiety. I have used meditation, yoga, running, watching comedies, exploring nature, deliberately spending time with others even if it's uncomfortable, journaling my thoughts to name a few. Meditation has helped the most.

      4. You have to accept your symptoms for what they are. You cannot have the attitude of DP/DR being something to overcome. You have to think of it as something that makes you uncomfortable and want to no longer be in your life. The more you fight it and obsess over it the more power DP/DR has over you. You can move past this time in your life and be happy and healthy, but it does take patience and a commitment to a healing program. Your symptoms are not unique in that other people share your pain. This is encouraging to know because you are not "going crazy," but rather you are experiencing something that many people have experienced and moved past in their lives. I want you to know that the world has quite a bit to offer us and the better you feel the more you will recognize that. This is a tough time in your life, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Please message me with any more questions. I am more than happy to help if I can.


      Chuck

      Delete