Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Desire and Commitment

        I have recently been exposed to a yoga teacher and meditation instructor named Rod Stryker.  I am reading a book by him called "The Four Desires" and I think many of the ideas in his book are relevant to a person experiencing anxiety, depression, depersonalization, and derealization.  In no way do I take credit for the ideas in his book, nor do I want to infringe on anyone's copyrighted ideas.  I just want to share some reflections on the ideas I was exposed to in Mr. Stryker's book.  I also want to preface this post by saying that I began reading this book after my symptoms have improved, but I do think the ideas in his book are accesible to people at any stage in their recoevry because it offers a plan for people to accomplish any of their goals.  He does not spend too much time musing on existential questions, but rather focuses on how people can live a more fulfilled and happy life in which they live out his or her personal purpose.  In the most recent chapter I read in "The Four Desires" Mr. Stryker talks about different levels or types of desire.  He lists four levels starting with something as simple as "it's hot, I need a cold drink," to being infatuated with another person, to being completely committed to an idea or cause to finally embodying the desire that you have.
        Mr. Stryker seems to draw a link between the level of one's desire to the ability to accomplish a goal. I think this insight is brilliant.  I think that many of us get jaded in assessing our own and other's ability to accomplish their goals.  We often think in terms of luck, politics, natural ability, and other external circumstances that we believe control our destiny.  Hard work has progressively gone out of style.  Many scholarly circles dismiss the notion of "The American Dream" and the relevance of hard work to one's life outcome.  How terribly depressing this must be to people who believe this to be true!
        I take another view however.  If you want something strongly enough, you can accomplish it.  This is not to say that external circumstances are negligible, but rather that we have much more control than we think we do.  We can not control an earthquake, or being laid off, or a loved one passing away.  But we can control how we respond to any of these things.  Think of Hurrican Katrina or any of the recent natural disasters in the United States.  Thanks to television we witnessed stories of people looting New Orleans stores for goods, but we also witnessed extraordinary acts of compassion and selflessness.  Both groups of people experienced the natural disaster and both controlled their responses.  Mr. Stryker suggests that our ability to accomplish our goals exists in our ability to overcome resistance to the accomplishment of the goals.  He shares that our attitude or level of desire from the outset dictates our ability to overcome the resistance.
        I know how awful the symptoms feel.  I know how the sense of hopelessness permeates much of your existence.  I know how confusing and uncomfortable the thoughts and experiences of DP/DR can be and are.  I also know that I have devoted the better part of my last five months to ridding myself of these symptoms.  My partner, my therapist, my family and my friends have all witnessed a marked improvement not just in my outlook, but in other aspects of my life as well.  I have been very clear and committed to my goals and have done almost everything in my power to be happy and live in peace.  By remaining committed to healing I have also allowed myself to weather the setbacks and work towards my goals every day. Resistance will come.  However, if we have a plan and more importantly a strong desire to live in peace than we can accomplishment.  I would recommend reflecting on how committed you are to overcoming your symptoms.  What proof do you have of this commitment?  What is your plan of attack?  Do you need to recommit yourself?  How strong is your desire?  How have you faced resistance?  I remain committed to my belief that these symptoms are manageable and that we can overcome our discomfort and unease.  Commitment and desire to achieve are major factors in accomplishing these goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment